Government Tactical Solutions, LLC “GovTact” is seeking a seeking a Controls Field Engineer to join our team in Fort Irwin, California to support our Space Communications Network Services Contract (DSN) with NASA. The Controls Field Engineer is responsible for the overall testing, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of the Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex’s (GDSCC) electronic interfaces for Heating-Ventilation-Air Conditioning (HVAC), Power Distribution switchgear controls, Fire systems and their mechanical and electronic interfaces. Is instrumental in the implementation of engineering changes to subsystem equipment. Systems supported include the control system for water telemetry, electrical controls, HVAC, and other assemblies in the Facilities and Antenna Subsystems serving NASA’s Deep Space Communications Complex.
- Assist in the planning, designing, analysis, cost estimating, and overall technical direction of control systems in support for the Deep Space Network (DSN).
- Serve as a project implementation engineer for new work, repair and/or replacement projects under the direction of the Sr. Controls Engineer(s).
- Understand and learn about multiple types of controls systems choosing the most suitable solution for the discipline and for the resolution of the technical problem.
- Collect project requirements, generate solutions, perform design evaluation and trade-off studies (cost-benefit analysis), specify hardware, prepare construction documents and drawings, interface with vendors/manufacturers, work the budget and financial responsibilities for the project(s), and perform implementation and testing/commissioning of the final product.
- Support and add technical knowledge in the implementation of projects involving the centralization and controls automation of electrical distribution, generation, and programming of the monitor/control systems; HVAC automation and monitoring systems; Fire detection and protection systems; domestic and industrial water generation and distribution systems; and other systems.
- Perform analysis on existing systems and recommend/implement corrections (this may include analysis of equipment performance, finding equipment replacement options, and identification of spare parts).
- Learn and familiarize the forms and functions of the Deep Space Network power distribution and control systems, (as well as work closely with HVAC and Fire Protection Engineers, and operations personnel at the Deep Space Network Complex).
- This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain a trusted background check and pass a National Criminal Information Check (NCIC). In order to obtain a clearance, you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship.
- AS degree or 6 years’ minimum related experience.
- Be familiar, able to troubleshoot and comfortable working with Automated Logic Controllers (ALC), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), SCADA systems, DDC, analog and digital control (temperature sensors, pressure transducers, actuators, etc.) Tight-tolerance temperature systems.
- 6+ years of experience recognizing potential hazards and following all safety equipment procedures.
- Must possess a valid California class C driver’s license.
- 2+ years of understanding and experience with the engineering design process / system development lifecycle ( demonstrated by engineering projects)
- 1+ years of experience and knowledge with serial and parallel communication protocols.
- 1+ years of a basic understanding of computer networking and project/task management skills.
- 0-2+ years of experience with using linear electrical/electronic components, Electro-mechanical components, and non-linear electrical/electronic components
- 0-2+ years of experience with using analog and discrete inputs/outputs (I/O)
- Be familiar with various types of sprinkler systems (dry, flooded, deluge); Chemical suppression systems (halon, fm-200, nitrogen, CO2); Fire detection systems (Supervisory and enunciating devices); Various Fire detection and suppression NFPA codes and standards (NFPA 1, 13, 10, 25, etc.)
- Must follow applicable regulatory agency and site-specific guidelines and to properly document all job-related activities; will provide technical guidance and training to and provide direct supervision of the activities of hourly personnel and perform all duties consistent with this classification as assigned.
- Applicant must possess good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be self-motivated and demonstrate the ability to work as a team member and demonstrate the ability and desire to be trained.
- Document corrective action and analysis of problems using the DRMS and CMMS databases
- Assist operations as required
- Direct implementation of Engineering Changes. Provide corrections and feedback to the appropriate Operation Engineer
- Provide input for Engineering Changes
- Troubleshoot equipment utilizing mechanical drawings and electronic schematics
- Collect and provide analysis of technical data
- Knowledge and basic understanding of various sensor equipment (pressure, flow, voltage, current).
- Familiarity and understanding of AC power, especially medium voltage, UPS’s, protection devices.
- Simple understanding of HVAC components (fans, compressors, chillers, dampers, actuators).
- Familiarity Ladder logic/PLC programming
- Collaborate with other departments as necessary to meet customer requirements
- Develop a working relationship with all internal and external customers.
- Possess strong leadership skills, ability to counsel, coach, develop, and motivate staff of professionals; has team building and facilitation skills. Exhibits full use of standard theories, principles, concepts and techniques associated with maintenance of responsible systems. Knowledge of advanced aspects of technical specialties in assigned area (s) of responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
GovTact and Insperity provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, (or related medical conditions, including, but not limited to lactation), physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
This applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.